“Abby someone.”

Just when you gave up all hope that there would ever be another update, here’s an update.

I didn’t think there would be much to say for another while yet but I knew I should at least say something, even if just to let everybody know that I was still working on the project. I will confess that I had become a bit (okay, a lot) lazy about doing anything to the car. However, since the last update I have hauled the old engine parts off the recyclers, cleaned most of the grease and oil off the transmission, started the CAD file for the adapter plate, and, as the reference in the title may have given away, acquired an organ donor vehicle. So I did get some things done and that last item will be the catalyst to get this project really moving again.

During Christmas break I hauled off 485 pounds of steel, aluminum, and plastic from the engine, the exhaust, and what ever else I knew I wouldn’t need. I realize in hind-sight I should have sorted it out better and made them pay me for each type separately. Instead, it all went for the scrap steel price of 5 cents a pound, or a grand total of 24 dollars and 25 cents. The guy rounded it up to $25 because I had told him what I was doing and he wanted to “contribute to the project”. That was a real disappointment. I can’t help but think, though, that if I had sorted it correctly I could have made a whole $30… maybe.

20150102_141427 20150102_141439

I read online that steam was a great way to get grease and oil off of engines so I went looking for a steam cleaner. Harbor Freight has a nice portable-ish one for about $130 but they don’t carry it in-store; you have to order it. So I got a wallpaper removing steamer that was about 15 years old from a friend. It produced a very wet steam that wasn’t all that hot and, while it did work, it didn’t work as well as I had hoped. After getting most of the inside of the bell housing cleaned out, or at least the first layer, I decided to pass the steamer on to someone who needed one for actually removing wallpaper. In an earlier post you can just see what the inside of the bell looked like before, below is after.

This is telephoto shot I took the other day from about 15 feet away to use as an aid for the hole layout in CAD. It think it’s working fairly well, as shown in a later picture, but we’ll see.

cleanish_bellhousing

This is a look at what the transmission body looks like before and after a good scrub with just a wire brush. I have a lot more of it done, I just don’t have a newer picture of it. I’m thinking of giving it a  detergent rinse, too.

20150606_091824

Here is the start of the adapter plate. Still lots to do, but at least I have some number and circles in place. Okay, they are really hard to see in this picture, but they are there.

 

Bell_CAD

And finally, the donor. In spite of the title of the post, I’m not going to call it Abby Normal.

20150526_193044

Looking at that picture, you have to ask why would I even think of using it as a parts car? Well…

20150526_193107

There’s always another side of the story. These are from after I pulled a bunch of broken stuff off the front of the car.

20150529_155309 20150529_161738 20150529_161717More broken stuff…

20150612_203318 20150612_203300 20150612_160924

The wheel looks kind of like a Pringles potato chip. In that last picture, if you look closely just below center, you can a see a bent rod between the frame and the strut. That’s the swaybar link and it should be straight. Just above that, you can see the brake line smashed against the frame. Also, the strut itself is a bit smashed and bent. The radiator is busted and bent. The water pump is busted. The AC condenser is bent like a bow tie, as is the frame member just below it. The aluminum bumper is bent. Both headlights are broken and the charge port is pushed off to the right. I don’t know what they ran into, but it sure left a mark.

The car is a 2015 Leaf with 2542 miles on it that I bought at a salvage auction in Portland for just under $11,000. It still has that new car smell. After I bought it, I was having a bit of buyer’s remorse for spending as much as I did until I started looking at the price of used 2012 and 2013 Leaf’s with around 25,000 miles and up on them. I have a much nicer, newer platform to pull parts from with a lot less wear and tear on the overall drive train, especially the batteries, for a couple thousand dollars less. I’m pretty much over my remorse.

I bought the Leaf Spy Pro app and found that the car has had 2 quick charges and 65 Level 1/Level 2 charges. That’s barely broken in. It is just a base model S, without any of the fancy nav system or other stuff that would be fun to try to stuff into the Supra but it did have one thing that made me very happy…

20150606_133717

A 6.6 kW charger. The other choice was 3.3 kW and that would have been a pity.

 

Well, it’s late and I think that’s all I have to tell you for now. I’ll keep working on this and I’ll try to do a better job of communicating what’s going on. But I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you. I’m better at just doing than telling what I’ve done.

B

 

 

Advertisements
  1. Standing By.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: